(Previously known as: Powers Dry Goods and Globe Business College - 240 E. 5th St.)
This building, like the adjacent Fairbanks-Morse Building (now H. Rosenthal), is one of four buildings on Mears Park which were once owned or occupied by the Noyes Brothers and Cutler Wholesale Drug Company, and one of six buildings on Mears Park which were designed by talented and prolific St. Paul architect J. Walter Stevens. The straightforward design of the building is dominated by a series of large rounded arched windows. This Victorian Romanesque commercial building was built in 1892 at a cost of $85,000 by the Noyes Brothers and Cutler firm for use by the Powers Dry Goods Company who moved into the building in 1893. In 1897, the St. Paul
Pioneer Press published a book entitled St. Paul which noted that "Feb. 6, 1893, the company took possession of and occupied its present quarters, on the corner of 5th St. and Wacouta St., a model emporium of its kind. The building, which was erected expressly for the use of the company, covers a lot 100 x 135 feet in area, and, including the basement, is seven stories in height." Powers, Durkee and Company was founded in 1882 and reorganized as Power's Dry Goods in 1886 . They were reportedly one of the three largest dry goods businesses in the Northwest and in 1886 employed 105 people. Power's Dry Goods eventually became the well known Power's Department Store.
Over the years this building was occupied by a number of other important Lowertown businesses including Tibbs, Hutchings and Company at the turn of the century, Foot , Schulze and Company from the turn of the century to the 1920's, George Sommers and Company in the 1930's and early 1940's, and Gordon and Ferguson in the 1940's. For a number of years the building has housed the Globe Business College and several other businesses. It currently is home to residents of Lowertown Lofts.